If you think a loved one has been neglected or abused in a nursing home or assisted living facility:
- File a complaint with the Wisconsin Department of Health Services Division of Quality Assurance by calling 800-642-6552 or going to http://1.usa.gov/VJcMnu.
- Contact the Wisconsin Long Term Care ombudsman’s office at 800-815-0015.
- Document the full nature and extent of the resident’s injuries and any details about the suspected mistreatment or neglect. If possible, take photos.
- Ask for a complete set of the resident’s medical records.
- Ask for a copy of the incident report that the facility prepared after the accident or injury.
- If there’s a death involved, have a full discussion with the physician or medical examiner.
- Note the full names of all staff members you’ve spoken with regarding the resident’s care.
- Contact county-level Adults-at-Risk helplines. For a complete list, visit http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/aps/.
The nonprofit Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism (www.WisconsinWatch.org) collaborates with Wisconsin Public Radio, Wisconsin Public Television, other news media and the UW-Madison School of Journalism and Mass Communication. All works created, published, posted or disseminated by the Center do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of UW-Madison or any of its affiliates.